La Corbiere Lighthouse was the first in the British Isles to be built of reinforced conrete and its light is visible for 18 miles (29 kms) in clear weather. The name La Corbière, first recorded in 1309, means the place of the ravens or crows; however, in the 1850s Victor Hugo described it as “the herdsman of the waves”. This south-west corner of the island had a fearsome reputation amongst sailors and was the scene of many wrecks. The 10-metres high lighthouse, designed by Sir John Coode, was completed in November 1873 and was switched on the following April.
Just click on the image for more info