Monday 6th August 2018 , 10:00 – Wednesday 8th August 2018-16:00
A three-day introduction to the issues and practical skills involved in conservation. You will develop an understanding of biodiversity, conservation and the issues it raises, as well as exploring the interpretation of conservation messages. This course is designed for students wanting to progress into the world of conservation biology.
Who is it for?
This course is for students aged 15-18yrs, based in Jersey, who are interested in pursuing a career in conservation, biology, ecology or environment at university or college. The course also supports students who have left formal education and are looking to complement their CV and skill set.
What is the course content?
During the course, you will cover topics such as:
- Animal welfare
- Zoo and enclosure design
- Animal behaviour
- Veterinary care
- Breeding programmes
- Conflicts between wildlife and local communities
- Communicating conservation messages
The course is taught through lectures, practicals and behind the scene viewing opportunities.
Please note: direct animal contact is not included during this course.
Who will lead the course?
The course will be run by Jersey Zoo Learning department in conjunction with keepers and specialist staff.
How will you benefit?
Participants will develop:
- A deeper understanding of Durrell and its mission to save species from extinction.
- A greater appreciation for the breadth and diversity of in-situ and ex-situ conservation techniques.
- Better awareness of the variety of career opportunities within the conservation field.
Participants will develop their ability to:
- Arrange ideas and examples into well-organised oral presentations.
- Conduct themselves confidently when working in large and small groups.
- Work as part of a team.
- Research topics effectively using reliable sources.
- Work under time pressures.
Where will the course be run?
Jersey Zoo – Discovery Centre classroom and theatre, zoo grounds.
How much will it cost?
The course fee is £200. This includes entry to the zoo for the duration of the course. It does not include food or transport.
Further information and course application
For more details on this course and sign up, please email: [email protected]