To reach the Castle and begin your adventure, walk along the causeway or take the amphibious Castle Ferry. Spend your day exploring this sprawling 15-acre fortress: climb the battlements dating back to the time Sir Walter Raleigh was Governor of Jersey; explore the grounds that gave refuge to King Charles II during the English Civil War; uncover the story of the Castle during the German Occupation in World War II; then discover the oldest part of this site, The Hermitage, where Saint Helier is thought to have lived around 550 A.D.
Step back in time to 1781 and meet the Castle Gunner who will tell you his story of the Battle of Jersey, but be prepared to be drafted into the Midday Parade and witness the firing of the musket and cannon.Jersey Heritage is currently restoring parts of the Castle to bring them back into public use and you’ll see scaffolding around two important, historic buildings – the Georgian Military Hospital and the Officers’ Quarters.
Travellers Choice Trip Advisor Award 2023
TOP 5 THINGS TO DO AT ELIZABETH CASTLE
1) Enjoy exploring all the hidden rooms, passageways and bunkers.
2) Take in the breathtaking views around the bay and the south coast of Jersey from the top of the Mount.
3) See the St Helier Hermitage and take a stroll to the end of the breakwater, which extends 1.5 miles out to sea.
4) Download the Elizabeth Castle App from Google Play or the Apple App Store and enjoy a guided tour of the Castle.
5) Take a tour of Elizabeth Castle with our of our volunteer guides.
Opening Times 2024
1 March to 31 October Daily 10am to 5.30pm
Closed for International Air Display 12th September