Rarely-seen objects and documents will be on display as part of an exciting new series called ‘Meet the Collections’ at the Sir Francis Cook Gallery.
You’ll have a chance to see, and hear the stories behind, a range of items usually kept behind closed doors in storage. All the items on display have been carefully chosen by the Collections team, who look after over 750,000 objects, textiles, archaeological finds and archive documents, including paintings, maps, volumes, parchments and electronic files – all representing different aspects of Jersey’s rich history.
These items are usually stored in purpose-built repositories at Jersey Archive and at the Augres Store behind Sir Francis Cooke Gallery. As part of the new ‘Meet the Collections’ series, the Collections team will be encouraging the public to ‘Adopt an Object’ to help fund vital conservation work.
These events are free and no pre-booking is required.
SATURDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER, 10AM TO 4PM
- Conservation, including museum objects
- Archive documents
- Reminiscence sessions and handling collections
- 10.30am Stuff from the Museum and Textile Collections
- 2.30pm Treasures from the Archives
- 11am Tour of the Object Store – please note that booking is required for the tour, please call 633324 to reserve your space
- 2pm Tour of the Art Store – please note that booking is required for the tour, please call 633324 to reserve your space
WEDNESDAY 23 OCTOBER, 4PM TO 8PM – MILITIA AND THE MILITARY STORY
SATURDAY 23 NOVEMBER, 10AM TO 4PM – ARCHAEOLOGY, FROM ICE AGE TO THE IRON AGE AND BEYOND
Free parking at the Blacksmith Arms, which is next door to the Sir Francis Cook Gallery La Route de la Trinité, Jersey JE3 5JN